The Almanzo and Laura Ingalls Wilder Association, also known as the Wilder Farm, is a volunteer, historic, educational non-profit organization. The museum/homestead consists of 84 acres of farmland, woods, the restored farmhouse (ca. 1843) of the Wilder family, reconstructed barns and outbuildings, a visitor center and gift shop, covered picnic pavilion, and nature trail to the Trout River. Interpretation of this site is based on the American classic book, "Farmer Boy", written by Almanzo Wilder's wife, famed author Laura Ingalls Wilder, as he described his recollections of his life at the farm to her. Of all the houses described in the 'Little House' books, this historic house is the only orginal house on its original site.