Franklin County

County Clerk

County Clerk Kip Cassavaw

P.O Box 70
355 West Main Street, Suite 248
Malone, NY 12953

Mission Statement

"Our mission is for the proper accountability of all types of records filed and recorded in our offices as well as efficiency in the collection and proper distribution of all fees to the various state agencies, county and town governments according to state mandates. Our pledge is to represent the people of the county and to serve others courteously, efficiently, and economically."


     The office of County Clerk is an elected, four-year position, Constitutional officer and Clerk of the Court; the Clerk has a statutory duty to fulfill this role.

     As Clerk of the Supreme and County Courts, the County Clerk provides files, records, and indexes of papers in civil and criminal legal actions. The County Clerk is also required to maintain judgment dockets, Court & Trust registers, attend sentencing hearngs, keep records, and collect monies on fines and surcharges the Court orders to be paid.
     The County Clerk's office handles land records, pistol permits, notary public appointments, oaths of office and passport acceptance as well. The records in this office are permanent and in constant demand by attorneys, abstractors and the public.

     The County Clerk also governs the Department of Motor Vehicles, where motor vehicles are registered and licenses are issued. There are two DMV offices in Franklin County: The main office is located in the Court House in Malone and the Satellite office is located in the Town Hall in Saranac Lake.

     Finally, the County Clerk is known as "Keeper of the Records." As the Records Management Officer for the county, the County Clerk oversees the proper retention, storage and disposition of the inactive, permanent and archival records of the county's 32 departments.

Hours of Operation:

Franklin County Clerk's Office, and the office of Records Management, is open  Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. 


The Department of Motor Vehicles has two locations in the county.

  • The Malone office is located at the Franklin County Courthouse. At this location, CDL written tests can be taken between 8 a.m. and 2 p.m.; permit tests can be taken from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. 

  • The Saranac Lake office is located at the Harrietstown Town Hall. Office hours are 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.  CDL written tests hours are 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.; permit tests can be taken from 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Deputy Clerk Cheryl Boyea ()
Phone: 518-481-1682
Passport Application

Passport Application Wizard

Passport Application Status

Check the status of your US Passport Application

I need to obtain a copy of my birth certificate (marriage certificate or death certificate)?

Birth, marriage and death records cannot be obtained from the County Clerk's Office.  They can, however, be obtained from the clerk's office of the town/village where you were the event occurred.  For example, if you were born at the Alice Hyde Medical Center here in Malone, your birth certificate can be obtained at the office of the Malone Village Clerk.  You may also obtain these records by contacting New York State's Department of Health Vital Records Division.  The website link is


How do I obtain a marriage license?

Marriage licenses are issued by any town clerk. 

I need a copy of my judgment of divorce. How can I obtain one?

You have two options.  Firstly, you can come into the office with proper identification and payment of $5.00 (or $1.00/page for documents of more than five pages). Secondaly, if you are unable to come into the office, you can submit a notarized statement and mail to the Clerk's Office with the $5 fee and a self addressed stamped envelope, and we will return the documents to you.  If you will be mailing a request, you have to include the index number and the parties names in your notarized statement.

How do I get a copy of my deed?

You can come into the office or mail a request.  The request must include the Book and Page of the deed you are looking for and the parties' names.  We are unable to look up the deed using tax map numbers or addresses.  You must also send a self addressed stamped envelope in order for the documents to be returned to you. Copies are $.65/page (minimum of $2.60). 

I am interested in finding out if there are any judgments filed against me. How would I find that out?

The County Clerk's office does not perform general searches.  You would have to either come into the office to perform a search or you could hire an abstract company to perform that search for you.

© 2015 Franklin County, Franklin County