General Passport Information
United States Passport Applications can be processed at the Franklin County Clerk’s Office located in the Franklin County Courthouse, 355 West Main Street, Suite 248, Monday through Friday, 8:00am – 3:45 pm.
When applying for a passport, please be prepared to provide the following:
completed application, type, written or neatly printed in
black ink only. Do not sign
the form until in the presence of a Clerk.
- First time applicants or those who are renewing an old passport which was obtained before the applicant’s 16th birthday must use form DS-11
- All others who are renewing a passport (must have been obtained after the applicant’s 16th birthday and issued less than 15 years ago) may use form DS-82. This form must be completed and mailed to the Passport Center by the applicant along with a $110.00 fee.
of U.S. citizenship in one of three forms:
- a certified copy of your birth certificate with a raised seal and parents’ names listed,
- original naturalization papers, or
- an old U.S. passport issued in your name
of identity in the form of:
- a valid NYS Driver License or non-Driver ID,
- a valid military ID,
- naturalization papers issued to you as an adult, or
- an INS Alien Registration Card
- Two identical passport photos, 2" x 2" with a white background and a full front view of your head and shoulders. Pictures must be taken within the last six months. Pictures are available in the Franklin County Clerk’s Office for a fee of $10.00 per set.
fees in cash, check or money order: MAKE CHECKS PAYABLE TO: U.S.
Department of State
- Adult (16 years or older) - $110 for a passport book and/or $30 for a passport card.
- Child (under 16 years old) - $80 for a passport book and/or $15 for a passport card.
- There is an additional $25 county Clerk’s Office processing fee for each application.
- Applicants between the ages of 16 to 18 must appear with a parent or legal guardian.
- Applicants under the age of 16 must appear with BOTH PARENTS.
Passports for Children
All children must appear at time of application.
Rules governing the issuance of passports to children under the age of 16 were recently revised by the U.S. Department of State. BOTH PARENTS or the child’s legal guardian must be present at the time of application or present additional documentation as detailed below.
Evidence of the child’s U.S. citizenship must be presented at the time of application. The child’s Social Security number is also required on the application.
Both parents and legal guardian must:
- Present evidence that they are the parents or guardian;
- Show valid identification;
- Sign and take an oath before an authorized passport acceptance agent.
If the second parent is not available to sign, the appearing parent must do all of the above and:
- Present evidence that he/she has sole custody of the child; or
- Present a completed “statement of consent” form (DS-3053), which must be notarized.
Children between the ages of 16–18 must appear with a parent or legal guardian who can sign their passport application. Furthermore, the applicant will need:
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship;
- A social security number;
- The parent to produce photo identification showing the same last name as the child (guardian must bring guardianship papers). If the last name on the parent’s ID is different from the applicant, additional documentation will be required.
Expedite the Passport Process
The processing time for passports is four to six weeks from time of application to time of return. The Franklin County Clerk is only responsible for processing the passport application. You will receive your passport in the mail directly from the Passport Agency.
If you wish to receive a passport sooner than the U.S. Department of State’s national service commitment of 4 to 6 weeks, you may pay an expedite fee of $60 per application plus additional fees to overnight your application to the Department of State and return to you upon completion.
An expedited passport is 10-14 business days from time of application to time of return. If you do not receive your passport within the time schedules listed above, please contact the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 (TDD 1-888-874-7793) or by e-mail.
If you are traveling in less than 14 days, you may schedule an appointment with a passport facility to have your application processed. There are facilities in Buffalo, New York City and Boston that accept appointments. Please call the National Passport Agency at 1-877-487-2778 to schedule an appointment. Proof of travel is required to make an appointment and expediting fees will apply.
Frequent Questions and Answers
When will I receive my passport?
Your passport will be processed at one of the nationwide passport centers and forwarded to you by one of these centers within 4-6 weeks. Processing times vary according to the time of the year.
Where can I get my pictures taken?
Pictures can be taken in the Franklin County Clerk’s Office, or at locations offering "official passport pictures". Passport pictures must comply with strict U.S. Passport Services requirements. For passport photo requirements please go to travel.state.gov
When will my passport expire?
An adult’s passport is valid for 10 years. A minor’s passport is valid for 5 years.
How do I get a copy of my birth certificate?
Birth certificates can be obtained at the City or Town Clerk in the location where the birth took place. For births in New York State, but outside of New York City, they can also be obtained by calling 518-474-3077. For births in NYC call 212-788-4520.
Who should I call if I need more information?
Call the Franklin County Clerk’s Office at 518-481-1681 at 355 West Main Street, Suite 248, Malone NY 12953. Our office hours are 8 am to 4 pm Monday thru Friday.