The Personnel department has a broad range of responsibilities, including the following:
- Providing personnel and civil service functions to the general public, Franklin County employees and departments, municipal governments, and educational entities
- Administration of the Franklin County Self Insurance Plan, which provides workers' compensation insurance coverage for Franklin County government and participating municipalities
- Administration of employee benefit programs, including hospital and medical insurance, workers compensation and disability
- Reviewing and administering grievances for all County employees
- Ensuring employee rules and regulations are adhered to
- Administering all aspects of civil service
- Working with the County Manager on a daily basis regarding Department of Labor, Unemployment, Human Resources, Personnel, Health Insurance and Benefits, and Civil Service issues; and during the collective bargaining and budget processes
More broadly, the department has a mission to ensure that the County workforce is qualified, the work environment is safe, and that employees are afforded opportunities for advancement via the civil service system. Most of the positions in Franklin County departments, towns, villages, school districts, special districts are filled by one of the criteria below. Different jobs have different requirements.
1. Some jobs require that you take an exam to be considered for a permanent job. These are called COMPETITIVE positions.
2. There are three types of positions that have no exam requirements:
EXEMPT positions are those where the employer decides the qualifications of applicants and chooses the person they want to hire. The process is similar to that found in private workplace.
NON-COMPETITIVE positions have specific education and experience requirements that you must meet. Employers choose from among the qualified people who apply.
Labor positions have no requirements. Employers may choose anyone for these jobs.
If you are interested in a testable or a non-testable position, you must complete the same application, available here from our website or our office at the address above.